Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Sunday Sermon

As you all know, I've been attending the Journey (on 34th btw 8th and 9th ave) since August. It's been super easy to get involved there... I have already become a member, I'm in the worship team and co-leading a bible study group this spring semester.
Anyway, this Sunday, Pastor Nelson and Kerrick preached together. I thought they did a really good job, and I wanted to share a little from their sermon with you! :)
The series they are doing is titled: Embracing my City. New York City is the most influential city in the world... if we could change NYC, we could change the world. How do we change NYC? We need to change the hearts of the people here. As apart of the Christian church it is MY responsibility to take part in the changes that need to happen to change the world. I am a missionary.
The title of their sermon was called: "Taking Responsibility for My Spiritual Growth". Pastor Kerrick talked about how there are three types of people who sit at the table (metaphorically speaking) in our church. Those three types are: those who are not yet followers of Jesus, those who are new followers of Jesus, and those who are growing followers of Jesus. Those who ARE growing followers of God have a special responsibility. We don't need to be fed constantly by others (like a baby christian would)... but we need to serve those who still need to be "baby fed". I think he has a good point here, because so many times we, as mature Christians, expect others to feed us and take no responsibility for our faith! We need to be able to feed ourselves spiritually, take responsibility for our spiritual growth, AND serve our fellow believers who are new in their faith!
So, how do we take responsibility for our spiritual growth?
1. We need to see spiritual growth as a life changing relationship. My relationship with God should be the most important growing relationship in my life. I need to do whatever will help me grow in my relationship. For some people, they wake up an hour before they have to do devotions or pray in the morning. Others will just breathe multiple prayers through out the day. Some will commit to reading the whole Bible multiple times in a year, while others read just one section at a time and really ponder on what it means to them. Other Christians may find that they can grow closer to God by doing some sort of service, joining a Bible study group etc. Whatever it maybe... Pastor Kerrick encouraged us to not fall into the trap of routines. I know for me, reading my Bible every day has become a routine instead of something that is helping me grow closer to the Lord. I realized that I need to keep myself in check every day... that what I do, whether in devotions, prayer, service, etc... at the end of the day, I need to ask myself, "Am I closer to God?"
Anyway, I'm writing a book here.. and I only got to #1, but I will share the last three points and end it at that....
2. Search for people who will help me grow.
3. Stay faithful to God in the small things. (don't base your relationship on the big stuff, like mission trips, conventions, etc... focus on the little things you can do every day to grow)
4. Start taking responsibility for my growth TODAY!

"For God is working in you, giving you the desire to obey him and the power to do what pleases him." -Philippians 2:13

7 comments:

Matt Carson said...

thanks for sharing sarah! sounds like it was a good sermon, i'm excited to be able to go to the journey again (i'm going to have a lot more food this time, haha).

sarita said...

haha, yeah, you better eat. I won't be feeding you at the apt, you know!!!!

Sandy said...

You two are too cute! ;) Sarah, I love your insights here & am thrilled that you have such an awesome church to attend there in NYC. In a place like NYC, how incredibly important is it to be connected to a church family & be fed such a life-changing Word each week?! Guess its just one of the signs that you're exactly where God wants you to be! Enjoy your weekend... And don't forget to feed your guest... Love you!

sarita said...

Sandy! shhh! I want him to think he won't be fed so he takes me out to eat!! ;-) lol

Sandy said...

Aaahhh.....your "sugar daddy", huh?? ;)

Mrs. Feliz said...

Hey Sarah....did you JUST create this????? It looks great and I love all the pictures. Are you a TWIN??????????????? You and your sister look identical

Mrs. Feliz said...

PS It's Christina from grad school